Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Ghostly Footsteps at the Jesse James Farm

Stephanie Gaddis, a historical interpreter at the James Farm and Museum, doesn’t believe in ghosts – but they may believe in her.

The most famous outlaw in American history, Jesse Woodson James, was born on the farm northeast of Kearney, Mo., Sept. 5 1847, the son of Rev. Robert and Zerelda James. His brother Frank, a Civil War soldier, train robber and celebrity, was born in Kentucky, but died on the farm grounds. A lot of people died on the 205 acres the James boys’ father bought from Liberty businessman Robert Gilmer in 1845.

Since the farm became a historic spot in 1978, ghost hunters, psychics and tour guides have reported experiencing something otherworldly there.

Which brings us to Stephanie from nearby Holt, Mo., who, apart from being a tour guide at the farm, studies at DeVry University.

“I was working one day and I walked through the house,” she said. “We always go through the house (from the rear entrance) and walk through the parlor and go through Frank’s room to let people in.”

The interior of the James home is dark in the mornings. A bed where Frank slept still sits in the front room, along with pieces of period furniture, a number of them donated by the James descendents. The house has seen a lot of history, not a lot of it good.

“I heard footsteps like people were walking in behind me,” Stephanie said. “I thought people were pulling a prank. I looked back in the room and someone was there. But it was empty.”

People have seen apparitions in the windows or walking up the path from a nearby creek where the young James boys once swam. Others have heard voices, and some have seen furniture move by itself.

But to Stephanie, the noise she heard was more unnerving than an apparition.

“It sounded like somebody walking across the floor,” she said. “It was heavy steps. Not light.”

As she stood in Frank’s room, inches from a bed where a killer once slept, the thump of boots grew closer.

“I’ve never seen a ghost in my life and I don’t believe in ghosts,” she said. “I thought it’s probably my tour group on the front porch.”

She pushed back the curtains, but the group was still coming up the dirt path. Stephanie opened the front door and let her group in. They filed up the steps, walked over the wood-planked porch and into Frank’s room.

“Then I heard it again,” she said, the loud, heavy steps of a boot-clad man. “I asked if the (group) heard it and they said ‘yes.’ They said they thought it was somebody in the house ready to jump out and scare us like they were Jesse.”

They went through the house and found no one who was trying to be Jesse. But it may have been Jesse, or Frank, or someone who walked onto the property looking for the James boys and never walked off.

The James gang planned robberies at the farm, and on Jan. 26, 1875, the Pinkerton Detective Agency attempted a raid on the house, tossing incendiary devices in through the window. The house didn’t burn, but it cost the James boys mother Zerelda her right arm to the elbow and mortally wounded their eight-year-old stepbrother Archie Samuel.

Frank died at the house in 1915 and, for a time, Jesse was buried there before his remains were exhumed and moved to Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Kearney.

Although Stephanie’s still not sure about the existence of ghosts, she knows there’s something strange about that house.

“Even now I don’t know,” she said. “It sounded just like somebody walking through the house… The house just kind of makes you feel nervous when you’re in there by yourself. It makes you kind of eerie.”

Copyright 2008 by Jason Offutt

Got a scary story? Ever played with a Ouija board, heard voices, seen a ghost, UFO or a creature you couldn’t identify? Let Jason know about it: Jason Offutt c/o The Examiner, 410 S. Liberty, Independence, Mo. 64050, or jasonoffutt@hotmail.com. Your story might make an upcoming installment of “From the Shadows.”

Jason’s book of ghost stories, “Haunted Missouri: A Ghostly Guide to Missouri’s Most Spirited Spots,” is here. Order online at: tsup.truman.edu, www.amazon.com, or visit Jason’s Web site at www.jasonoffutt.com.

7 comments:

Ellis Taylor said...

Did you read my comment on 'the stench in the closet' post?
Was 'the Coward Who shot Jesse James' filmed at their old homestead?

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about the game which you need use priston tale Gold to play, and you can also borrow priston tale Money from other players? But you can buy priston tale Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap priston tale Gold. If you get it, you can continue this game.
Have you heared about the game which you need use Tales Of Pirates gold to play, and you can also borrow Tales Of Pirates money from other players? But you can buy Tales Of Pirates Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap Tales Of Pirates gold. If you get it, you can continue this game.

Anonymous said...

Do you know cabal online alz? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy cabal alz and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cabal gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cabal money and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy cabal alz was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.
Do you know Asda Story gold? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy Asda Story money and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these buy Asda Story Gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me manycheap Asda Story gold and play the game with me.

Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some Metin2 gold, he usually can win a lot of Metin2 yang, then he let his friends all have some Cheap metin2 yang, his friends thank him very much for introducing them the Cheap metin2 gold, they usually Buy metin2 gold together.
I am so happy to get some Perfect World Gold and the Buy Perfect World Gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the Perfect World Silver is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should Perfect World money with the spare money and I gain some cheap Perfect World Gold from other players. It is the pw gold which make me very happy.

Unknown said...

Within two years of founding Skyrove, wireless hotspots have mushroomed locally, Thanks for sharing this topics as good as ones about
jordan shoes, everyone has his perspetives about air jordan shoes, some online stores bigtimekicks.com, dragonkicks.com, kicksexpress.com of
air jordans have all the best images and stories about nike air jordans. Feel free to use it anytime. it is full of passion. If you would like to suggest a good source of Discount Electronics, please share it with me.

Unknown said...

Within two years of founding Skyrove, wireless hotspots have mushroomed locally, Thanks for sharing this topics as good as ones about
jordan shoes, everyone has his perspetives about air jordan shoes, some online stores bigtimekicks.com, dragonkicks.com, kicksexpress.com of
air jordans have all the best images and stories about nike air jordans. Feel free to use it anytime. it is full of passion. If you would like to suggest a good source of Discount Electronics, please share it with me.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.