Thursday, July 08, 2010

Black-Eyed People in Texas, Nebraska

The early July sun beat on 19-year-old Dallas Adams as he pumped gas into his car at a convenience store in Lucas, Texas.

A man and his son stood at the pump opposite Adams, a woman at her car was behind him. When the gas nozzle clicked Adams placed it back onto the pump and went inside the store. Things were different when he came out.

“There was no line in the gas station,” Adams said. “I bought cigarettes and walked out but when I came out my car was the only one there. I had only been in the gas station for maybe two and a half minutes. As soon as I noticed everyone was gone I felt scared but couldn’t figure out why.”

Then he saw the man standing by his car. As Adams walked by him, he noticed a smell, like the man hadn’t showered in weeks.

“He looked like an average guy but when I looked at him I felt scared like my life was about to end,” Adams said. “I went to my car and looked at him – he was staring at me.”

The man came closer to Adams as he stood at the driver’s side door, walking in long steps.

“I need a ride,” the man said, the force in his voice striking Adams like something physical.

“It scared me to death,” Adams said. “I said, ‘what?’ And he said, ‘give me a ride.”

Then Adams saw what frightened him.

“His eyes were completely black. No whites, no nothing, just black,” Adams said. “When I was talking to this thing I could smell its breath, which was horrible.”

Adams worked up the courage to ask where the Black-Eyed Man wanted to go. The man simply replied, “just give me a ride."

“I said, ‘I’m sorry, I can’t,’ then he took a few steps toward me,” Adams said. “His walk was kinda odd, but stopped as this conversation was happening.”

But what terrified Adams was the man’s eyes.

“I couldn’t take my eyes off of his,” Adams said. “It was like they were sucking me in.”

As Adams stood, watching the strange man with the black eyes approach him, something broke whatever held Adams’ gaze. Adams hopped into his car and sped away.

What did Adams’ see?

“This is really troubling me cause I’ve had dreams about this man every night since the day it happened,” Adams said. “

Black-Eyed People have been in the popular culture since two approached journalist Brian Bethel as he sat in his car in 1998. The encounters are usually the same. Black-Eyed People are usually children to young adults who use language and assertiveness that would seem to be beyond their means. But the most common thread is their eyes; black, without iris or whites, and dead like a Hollywood vampire’s.

What these people may be – aliens, demons, practical jokers – is a matter of debate. However, the reports continue. Like this report from Omaha, Neb.

A little girl, about five years old, brown hair in a ponytail ran around the play area at the Westroads Mall, but Debbie Rife knew something was wrong with the child.

“I saw her eyes and just thought something was weird, different, off about her, so every time she ran past my way I tried to figure out what it was,” Rife said. “Then I realized that there was little to no difference in the shading between her pupil and iris. So of course I kept staring, only not trying to be obvious about staring.”

If there was any white to the girl’s eyes, Rife said it wasn’t noticeable.

And the odd little girl kept following Rife’s seven-year-old son.

“I was waiting for something weird, spooky or crazy to happen like a scene from ‘Carrie’, but really nothing happened,” Rife said. “She followed (her son) around for a little bit and kept saying, ‘Hi, hi, hi,’ and something about she wanted to marry (him). He said she was funny, but also creepy.”

Then there was the screaming girl.

“I didn't hear anyone else notice the child,” Rife said. “The only thing I did notice was that another little girl kept going up to her and doing this scream thing. She did that to her a couple of times until her mom came and told her to stop that and then she didn't bother the (Black-Eyed Kid) again.”

Online poster Thaisa, saw a Black-Eyed Person on a train in early May – and the horror haunts her.

“I have seen one of them and now wherever I go I don’t look into people eyes,” Thaisa said. “You can see something strange, sense something different. I did not feel scared until I saw this person’s big, entirely black eyes, no white inside it.”

As Thaisa watched, this man, who fidgeted on the commuter train, moving nervously from seat to seat, locked eyes with her, and his eyes changed to black within seconds.

“I turned my head immediately from fear,” Thaisa said. “I tried to rationalize this event. I thought I might have had a hallucination in the middle of the day.”

She looked at the man again and he still glared at her. Big, entirely black eyes stared into hers, and a fear like sleep paralysis gripped her.

“This person was sitting just opposite me in the train and was observing me for 35 minutes,” Thaisa said. “Clearly it wanted to make contact but I did not respond.”

The man eventually reached his stop and Thaisa felt like she snapped out of a spell.

“When he left the train I felt such a relief,” she said. “I felt like the biggest disaster was behind me. I was shaking for a couple hours after.”

Copyright 2010 by Jason Offutt

Got a scary story? Ever played with a Ouija board, heard voices, seen a ghost, UFO or a creature you couldn’t identify? Let Jason know about it: Jason Offutt, P.O. Box 501, Maryville, Mo., 64468, or jasonoffutt@hotmail.com. Your story might make an upcoming installment of “From the Shadows.”

Jason’s newest book on the paranormal, “What Lurks Beyond: The Paranormal in Your Backyard,” is available at Jason’s blog, from-the-shadows.blogspot.com.

9 comments:

Tziedel said...

You have officially freaked me out.

Thank you, kind sir.

Connie Moreno said...

I have never, EVER heard of black-eyed people...and now that I have, I do NOT want to see one!

Unknown said...

I came across this article because I was searching black eyed people because I saw one today. While at a you pick berry farm in California with my family. We entered the barn to pay when I saw her about 7 feet in front of me. She was just staring at me and I stared right back and she never broke her gaze. I tried to get my kids attention to show them the women. I wanted to know I wasn't seeing things. At that point I knocked over a sign for apple cider and bent over to pick it up. When I looked back in the direction the women had been standing she was gone. I looked all around for her but never saw her agian. The whole experiance left me feeling creeped out and I am very curious about who or what she was.

Unknown said...

I came across this article because I was searching black eyed people because I saw one today. While at a you pick berry farm in California with my family. We entered the barn to pay when I saw her about 7 feet in front of me. She was just staring at me and I stared right back and she never broke her gaze. I tried to get my kids attention to show them the women. I wanted to know I wasn't seeing things. At that point I knocked over a sign for apple cider and bent over to pick it up. When I looked back in the direction the women had been standing she was gone. I looked all around for her but never saw her agian. The whole experiance left me feeling creeped out and I am very curious about who or what she was.

Noella said...

I think I'd be borderline hysterical after seeing a black-eyed person. Thanks for damaging my mind! I'm thoroughly creeped out now!XD

EternalFlame said...

I just happened to come across the term 'black-eyed people' so I went googling stories on them. What do they actually want?? They're so contradictory.. Some seem to want to reach out to other humans (like I was reading about this Carol woman who let the black-eyed man in and he just seems to want to seduce her), others seem to have malevolent intent(like, posessing human bodies, maybe?), while yet others seem to just want to live normal lives but seem envious of humans (like the man in the lift who was going 'nowhere'). Strange.. I wonder if they smell..

Unknown said...

You can order sclera contact lenses in all sorts of colors and combinations of colors/patterns. Sclera contacts cover the whites of your eyes as well as the iris. One creepy combo is black sclera, black pupil and white iris. The most popular sclera lens is all black. I think commentators are seeing people wearing lenses, feeling shock at the sight of them, and letting the shock carry them away. If I had a pair of these lenses, of course the 1st thing I would do is approach a stranger and say "Let me in, give me a ride!" just to mess with them.

Rue said...

I've see two black-eyed people before in the past year. The first was a man with eyes a more greyish tone, but still no whites. I felt someone looking at me, and when I looked up I saw him. He didn't seem very mean, though. If there was any emotion in them, it was sorrow. The second time, however, the guy was really scary. My best friend was hanging out with him, and he looked at me with pure black eyes, again no whites. They moved so creepily, and would not stop staring at me. I can still see his face in my head, and even writing this gives me chills. His eyes narrowed (my friend was completely oblivious, chatting happily) and he tilted his head, reminding me more of an animal than a human. He told my friend to follow him onto the bleachers (we were at a 7th grade orientation and just hanging out), but said to me: "You don't have to if you don't want to." But he said it in a way that told me: 'I know that you know. I only want your friend, I don't care about you."
He gave me an overwhelming sense of evil, dizziness and sickness. I was ill for the rest of the day. I don't care what anybody says, but that guy... The way he looked at me, and tilted his head... I never want to feel like that again.

Rue said...

It was a month after my birthday this summer, and my friend decided to take me with her to her empty school. When I got there, she was hanging out with this highschool kid. At first he seemed normal, but as I got closer, something change. I felt uneasy, nervous, queasy... I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I wanted to get my rather oblivious friend out of there so bad, but at the same time wanted to slow my steps. As I arrived, I stared into his eyes. He sared back. He seemed to realize something, and then a glare came over his face.
His eyes narrowed as my friend talked beside him, and his head tilted in an inhuman mannor. He was more like an animal tilting it's head.
I couldn't move. I kept glancing away, wanting to leave, but my friend would not leave, and I feared for her, for some reason.
For the whole hour, his eyes stayed glued to me. By the time we finally left him, I could barely stand. He was so... EVIL. I was sick for the rest of the day.
I have already met two in the past year. My mother met one as well.
I never again want to meet another. I don't care what anyone else says; this 16-year-old was NOT human.
Have you ever heard of "The Gift of Discernment"? Perhaps these beings bring out The Gift in all of us.