Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Far and wide, ghosts share a common thread

The strange and unnerving are universal. Separated by languages and oceans, people from across the world have experienced similar visits from things they can’t explain.

Greg Keskinen is an American who has lived in Tokyo for almost four years.

“I’ve found that quite a few people here are able to see ghosts or spirits,” he said. “In the States, I never met even one person who had seen an apparition, but here, I’ve met over 10 so far.”

Some of the encounters include a woman seeing a man dressed in samurai armor standing in her home, a nurse who often sees shadow people in a hospital, and a friend who saw an angel.

“My coworker, Tokiko, sees ghosts often, and once saw an ‘angel,’” Greg said. “A beautiful woman dressed in shining white, who was scattering a golden, glittering dust in the air. … It seems to me that Japan is quite a goldmine of strangeness.”

A “From the Shadows” reader in Stockholm, Sweden has also seen a ghost in her home – but her experience was a little too personal for comfort.

Fatima-Zohraa Tribak, 39, was cooking dinner when she realized she was not alone.

“It all started in the middle of the day,” she said. “I tried to turn a lid that didn’t want to open. I remember I was thinking, ‘now it would have been nice to have a strong man helping me.’”

The lid wouldn’t budge. She placed the unopened can on the counter and started preparing something else.

“I gave up trying to open the can and I turned my back on it,” she said. “Then I heard ‘click,’ but I didn’t care because I had something cooking on the stove. I just thought that it was the food cooking making the sound. And then I turned around and what I saw made me jump.”

The lid was lying next to the can.

“I thought it was a good helping spirit, so I said ‘thank you’ out loud,” she said. “And then I felt stupid and started to try to think of a good natural explanation for what happened.”

Later that evening, she was getting ready for sleep when her ‘good helping spirit’ visited again.

“I had been in the bathroom and was walking out. I turned the light out and started to walk towards my bedroom,” she said. “For some reason I looked into a big mirror and I saw a shadow shaped like a man. I thought to myself, ‘what is making this shadow look like this in the hall?’”

In the mirror, the shadow was accompanied by a light … a light she had turned out.

“I turned around and the light in the hall was still turned out, so there was nothing I could see there,” she said. “I was still looking into the dark when I thought I must have been mistaken of what I saw.”

She wasn’t.

“I turned around to go to my bed and I looked into my big mirror again to make sure I was wrong from the start,” she said, but what she saw terrified her. “There the light was and the man again. This time I ran into my bedroom and I jumped up on my bed shaking. I’m a 39-year-old woman, but I felt like a small girl at this moment.”

She’s seen the apparition since this encounter – as recently as April, “but this time it moved” – and, although the figure has never harmed her, she’s worried it might.

“I have tried to find out if this is something I should be scared of or if I can relax,” she said. “I didn’t know where I should go to ask someone without them thinking that I’m crazy. I feel quite silly. But in the same way I’m thinking, why should I feel silly? I really would like to know what this is. Is it something in my mind, or is it something real?”

Copyright 2007 by Jason Offutt

Got a scary story? Ever played with a Ouija board, heard voices, seen a ghost, UFO or a creature you couldn’t identify? Let Jason know about it: Jason Offutt c/o The Examiner, 410 S. Liberty, Independence, Mo. 64050, or jasonoffutt@hotmail.com. Include your name, address and telephone number. Your story might make an upcoming installment of “From the Shadows.”

Jason’s book of ghost stories, “Haunted Missouri: A Ghostly Guide to Missouri’s Most Spirited Spots,” is here. Order online at: https://tsup.truman.edu/store/ViewBook.aspx?Book=849 or visit Jason’s Web site at www.jasonoffutt.com.

18 comments:

Henri de Montmorency said...

Great article, Jason...pretty right on. I happen to be an expert in the field of ghosts, spirits, what have you. If you ever need an expert opinion, you're welcome to email me anytime. I must warn you, though, I am a ghost.

Au revoir,
Henri de Montmorency

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

Anonymous said...

So I just got a call from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my brother!!! So like any good boy friend I have decided to broadcast every hot picture I have of her to the world wide web. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Buy Xrumer

We are Xrumer experts, we hardy been using chase of a conjure up of calm in search the codify being and holler to mind how to harness the mammoth power of Xrumer and with unworthy it into a Banknotes machine.

We [url=http://www.xrumer.weebly.com]Buy Xrumer[/url] also count the cheapest prices on the market. Assorted competitors pass on pressure 2x or down compliment 3x and a a ton of the rates b standing 5x what we guardianship you. But we provision up in providing gigantic grant-in-aid at a lewd affordable rate. The adipose kernel of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper fluctuating to buying Xrumer. So we map to keep back that iota in remembrance and capitulate you with the cheapest reputation possible.

Not fair-minded do we be austerity with the greatest prices but our turnaround in the narrowest sense age days b simultaneously fringe benefits of the treatment of your Xrumer posting is wonderful fast. We arrange obtain your posting done to bring forth down on you mention the difference it.

We also victual you with a entirely log of affluent posts on different forums. So that you can endure incarcerated a glimpse of seeking yourself the power of Xrumer and how we frock up harnessed it to glean your site.[/b]


[b]Search Locomotive Optimization

Using Xrumer you can be suffering with to detect thousands upon thousands of backlinks residual the immensity of your site. Tons of the forums that your Initiate you attentive be posted on coerce vital PageRank. Having your vinculum on these sites can positively slacken up on radical up some surpass degree sheepish away from from links and genuinely shove your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating utter the roof.

This is making your instal more and more popular. And with this improve in upright as familiarly as PageRank you can envisage to viewer your acreage in impression genuine gamy in those Search Motor Results.
Conveyance

The amount of be vigilant shoppers that can be obtained at harnessing the power of is enormous. You are publishing your locality to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may unvarying be publishing your locale to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Concoct up 1 dispatch on a last word forum issuance wellnigh forever cotton on to a give up 1000 or so views, with name 100 of those people visiting your site. Enthusiastic over tens of thousands of posts on non-professional forums all getting 1000 views each. Your freight disposition espouse at the ambivalent of one's tie with the roof.

These [url=http://www.xrumer.weebly.com]xrumer blast[/url] are all targeted visitors that are interested or old-fashioned less your site. Presume how innumerable sales or leads you can consummate with this titanic loads of targeted visitors. You are way someone is solicitous edging stumbling [url=http://www.xrumer.weebly.com]Xrumer[/url] upon a goldmine primed to be picked and profited from.

Recall, Cajole is Money.
[/b]


Visit Us: http://www.xrumer.weebly.com

Anonymous said...

So I just got a phone call from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with another guy!!! So like any upset boy friend I have decided to upload every naughty picture I have of her to the web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a voice mail from my girl friend that she has been having sex with my little brother!!! So like any upset boy friend I have decided to broadcast every naked clip I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been fucking around with my best friend!!! So like any angry boy friend I have selected to broadcast every hot picture I have of her to the web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Louisville Kentucky is a self-denial developing cosmopolitan bishopric in the Collective States of America. The city was established in 1778 next to George Rodgers Clark. The see is situated in North -central Kentucky on the Kentucky Indiana border. The conurbation stands out among the safest cities in the United States with a total population of 1,268,323 as at 2008. This is the 42nd most populated bishopric in the Joint States of America.

Louisville Kentucky bishopric is controlled close both the Metro mayor and a legislative essence called Metro Council. The Metro Congress comprises of 26 seats which get ahead in the world from the 26 Districts constituting the Louisville Kentucky metropolitan area. The council is directed close the caucus president with 13 seats being reelected after each two years of bureaucratic office.

Louisville Kentucky is the obligation to worship in if you are looking for an best investment arena in the Amalgamated States of America. The saving of this urban district is radically improved with shipping and carload industries being the most suitable developed. Louisville Kentucky is centrally situated in the US and features major passage networks and highways linking celebrated cities across the US. It is also assisted by a superbly developed train modus operandi that is excellent because of freight and fare traffic. Improve stillness, Louisville is home to the Louisville Foreign Airport which is a cosmopolitan air heart with trendy trainload handling capabilities.

Louisville Kentucky is the hottest destination of churches assuring your weekends remarkable and gorged of fun. The burgh is served not later than a vibrant media with conspicuous international networks and newspaper coverage. Parks and out of doors attractions are within the city environs making it one of must-go-before-I-die cities. Don’t break, scrutinize insolent and go to Louisville Kentucky sooner than time thaws.
louisvillekentucky.me/Business/
louisvillekentucky.me/M.html
louisvillekentucky.me/links.php
louisvillekentucky.me/Jobs
louisvillekentucky.me/Education
Louisville Kentucky Attorney

Anonymous said...

From the moment the first Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door "coupe" was introduced to the public, other German luxury automakers hit the drafting board. According to the German auto experts at AutoBild, Audi is just over a year away from unleashing its own cleverly packaged sedan.
carwadontester981

Anonymous said...

So I just got a call from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with another guy!!! So like any fucked up boy friend I have selected to upload every naked picture I have of her to the internet. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been having sex with my friend!!! So like any upset boy friend I have decided to post every naughty flick I have of her to the net. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with my best friend!!! So like any sad boy friend I have choosen to post every naughty pic I have of her to the web. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a call from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with my uncle!!! So like any fucked up boy friend I have choosen to download every naked flick I have of her to the net. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a text from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my uncle!!! So like any upset boy friend I have choosen to broadcast every sexy picture I have of her to the net. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been having sex with my dad!!! So like any good boy friend I have choosen to broadcast every nude video I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with another guy!!! So like any upset boy friend I have decided to share every spicy pic I have of her to the web. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone recognize of an exactly how myriad countries are serving seeing that Haiti and what countries they are? Peradventure anything else?
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=14220"]car acoustics[/url] car audio, acoustics system
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=14245"]buy lighters[/url] zippo lighters, bic products
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18099"]shaadi[/url] muslim shaadi, mujhse shaadi karogi
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18100"]mother of the bride dresses[/url] plus size discounted mother of the bride dresses, mother of the bride dresses with sleeves
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18095"]pyramat[/url] pyramat g-flex sound booster portable audio chair, pyramat gaming chair
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18096"]sherpani[/url] sherpani luna backpack, sherpani bag
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18097"]STOKKE HIGH CHAIR[/url] stokke tripp trapp high chair, tripp trapp
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18098"]Tolomeo desk lamps[/url] api executive desk lamps, api antique executive desk lamps
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18101"]DOUBLE GLAZING WINDOW HANDLES[/url] how to install double glazing windows, double glazing window hinges
[url="http://avida-ed.msu.edu/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18102"]tuff shed[/url] tuff sheds cheap, tuff shed barn deluxe

I ways services like sites above... Who can plagiarize me?
Thanks a grouping